The Member of Parliament for Kumbungu, Ras Mubarak, has stressed the need for the Minister of Employment and Labour Relations to be summoned in Parliament to provide data on job losses within the COVID-19 period.
Ghana’s economy, like many others the world over, has been hit by the impact of the pandemic compelling many firms to lay off workers.
The ban on public gatherings has led to a massive downturn in activities in sectors like hospitality and leisure.
Some have already laid-off casual workers and are preparing to cut down on permanent staff.
The three-week lockdown also led to a slowdown in economic activities in Ghana’s main economic hubs.
Raising the issue in Parliament, Mr. Mubarak said such a briefing could inform legislation and policy moving forward.
“May I draw the attention of the House to the urgent need for the Minister for Employment to be in the House to appraise the House of employment figures and the impact of COVID-19 on jobs up and down the country. It is important that the Minister will give us this information.”
Coming into 2020, the government said the rate of unemployment in the country reduced from 11.9 percent in 2015 to 7.1 percent in 2019.
The informal economy accounts for 85 percent of employees with the formal sector accounting for the remaining 15 percent.
The Trades Union Congress (TUC) has described the rate of job losses as mindboggling.
The union wants various stakeholders to hold a round table discussion and take more decisive actions to minimise the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on businesses and other corporate institutions.