A YOUNG woman complaining of a sore throat was left horrified after doctors found a live WORM burrowing into her tonsils.
The unnamed patient, 25, visited St Luke’s International hospital in Tokyo after she felt pain and irritation at the top of her windpipe.
But doctors were left shocked when they discovered a black mass on her left tonsil.
And much to the woman’s horror, medics were able to pull the still-wriggling worm out using tweezers and into a dish in front of her.
Identified as a nematode roundworm, the live creature measured 38mm long and 1mm wide, according to the American Journal of Tropical Medicine.
The worm is one of several parasites which infect people who eat raw fish or sushi.
And it soon emerged that the woman – whose condition has “‘rapidly improved” since the procedure – had eaten sashimi five days earlier.
The infection was caused by a younger version of the worm which was present in her raw fish, the journal said.
Medics say cases of the creatures living inside people’s bodies have “markedly increased worldwide” due to the popularity of eating raw fish.
Freezing fish before consumption usually kills parasites in the flesh.