The government has released GH¢354 million for the payment of continuous professional development allowance (CPDA) for teachers under the Ghana Education Service (GES).
Some 301,617 professional and non-professional teachers are to benefit from the amount, set to be paid next week.
Of the number, 279,546, representing 92.7 per cent, are professional teachers, while the remaining 22,071, representing 7.3 per cent, are non-professional teachers.
Each professional teacher will receive a net GHc120, while a non-professional teacher will receive a net GHc80.
The Director-General of the GES, Prof. Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, who disclosed this to journalists in Accra yesterday after the inauguration of the maiden Governing Council of the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC), explained that the payment was to help with teacher professionalisation.
He explained that the CPDA was one of the new interventions by the government and part of its “teacher first” policy designed to encourage teachers to constantly improve on themselves.
He explained that the money was to help teachers engage in various developmental activities and help them build points towards promotions.
“As we speak to you today, it has been processed for payment for this month,” Prof. Opoku-Amankwa told journalists.
He explained that the payment delayed until now because “we had to go through the process, sign an agreement to it before we can start payment”.
He explained that even as teachers agitated for the payment of the allowance, the agreement had already been signed between the government and the various teacher unions.
He explained that the CPDA was payable once a year but nor a recurrent, adding that it would be paid in bulk and not in instalments.